Cockpit electrical panel gets a new back for protection. - 2017


has been getting hit by objects going in and out of the stern lazerett.
It causes a couple of connections to get loose and not work from time to time. Our stern cockpit courtesy lights are on the panel along with a switch to turn on and off the davit LED spot light (although for that we mostly use the remote control). Anyway, I want to cover this panel. I had a cover on it but it got knocked off. This time, I will make it really sturdy and yet if I want to remove it, I can, to add more items to the panel or if there is a problem etc.

End of June 2017 - Tied up in Marina Mazatlán, Mexico
Here is what the face of the panel looks like on the outside. The labels are back lit. We installed the 6 Position WeatherDeck Waterproof Fuse Panel back in 6\23\2012.
First I removed the wires to clean the connections. 
When I did this, two connections broke off.
There were two more tabs on the connections above
but they broke off when I removed the wires.
You can see the connections that broke off
as the red arrow is pointing to an unused one.
Luckily, I had a couple of these connections. They are two to one connections.
I could have spliced the two wires together but that would mean cutting off the solderless terminal ends and putting both wires on a number 10 instead. There is not much extra wire so that would have been hard to do but possible.
This shows the cover I am using. It was a Snapware that had a broken top.
I re-purposed it for this cover. Hole punch tool we use for canvas I used to cut some holes in the cover for wire ties.
Two tabs had broken off. One to the right and one on the bottom.
I stripped the paint from the fiberglass, washed the spots with acetone and used  3M™ Marine Adhesive Sealant 4000 UV to attach the new tabs as we did with the old ones.
We painted the area with some water-based brown paint
we keep on hand and then wire-tied the cover onto the tabs.
It fit nice and snug this time and is real sturdy. If we cut the wire ties the cover will come right off.
All done and looking good but no one will see it but us 😢
But it will do its job and that's what counts. Function over fashion, but it does look good!

No comments:

Post a Comment